Children require a daily nutritious diet for their development and growth. However, they are notoriously picky eaters. Parents can find it extremely difficult to get their children to eat right. Your child will always lunge for that pack of potato wafers over the bowl of fruit you serve him/her. Not eating enough fruits and vegetables can result in a nutrient deficit diet. Thankfully, there are vitamin and mineral supplements that your child can take along with the Doritos, to help him/her fulfill their nutritional needs. Below is a list of dietary supplements that are essential for any growing child-
- Vitamin D – Our diet by itself is not sufficient to meet our body’s Vitamin D requirements. Sunlight is a good source of this vitamin. Cod-liver oil, fish and eggs are rich in Vitamin D – necessary for bone and immune health. It also supports cardiovascular and muscle function, while at the same time aiding brain development and the respiratory system in its operation.
- Multivitamin Mineral Supplement – Multivitamin supplements contain numerous vitamins and minerals that our body requires for its overall functioning. They are available in powder, capsule, tablet and liquid form. Pick a multivitamin in powder/liquid form so you can administer it easily to your child.
- Calcium – A growing child is developing his/her bones and growing teeth. Our bone and teeth are mainly made up of calcium. Calcium also helps release enzymes and hormones. It helps the muscles and nervous system function. Calcium is found aplenty in dairy products such as milk, curd, tofu and so on. If your child refuses to drink their glass of milk, consider giving him/her calcium supplements to build their bone health.
- Omega 3-s – Omega 3 fatty acids are crucial for brain development and eye health. They help prevent asthma, treat allergies as well as lower risk of ADHD, depression and aggression. Omega 3-s is commonly found in fatty fish like sardines, salmon and tuna. If your child eats any less than three servings of these in a week, you probably need to give him fish oil.
– Kids often do not eat enough leafy green vegetables, nuts and whole
grains to give them their required quota of magnesium. It becomes
important to supplement this absence in their nutrition, as a result.
Muscle and nerve function is largely dependent on magnesium. It can
help prevent hyperactivity and ADHD. It also has a positive effect on
children's sleep and moods.
- Zinc – Zinc helps our reproductive organs and brain develop. It also plays an important part in cellular metabolism. Zinc deficiency may lead to memory problems and learning difficulties. It can negatively affect a person’s attention span and even impair our immune functions leaving us unshielded in the face of infections and colds.
These dietary supplements help our kids get the nutrition they need when they refuse to eat a healthy home-cooked meal. Often, even healthy home-cooked meals fall short of providing all the vitamins and minerals a growing child requires. Make sure to include the above supplements in your child’s diet and you can rest knowing you are doing all you can to meet their body’s nutritional needs.